The West Wittering Property Market
The astonishingly beautiful West Wittering village is well worth a visit if you’re considering moving to West Sussex or would like to relocate.
Just 6.5 miles from the Tod Anstee property hub in Chichester, West Wittering is renowned for having peaceful sandy beaches, sweeping dunes, and idyllic coastal life resting close to the mouth of Chichester Harbour.
As part of our series of articles examining the property market offerings and lifestyles available in the diverse cities, towns and villages of West Sussex, we’re going to take you on a trip around West Wittering.
West Sussex as a Prime Property Destination
First, we’ll look into West Sussex as a whole to identify some of the primary reasons it holds such allure for professionals, families and retirees alike. Long regarded as one of the best places to live in the UK, the beauty of West Sussex is unrivalled.
Effortlessly combining graceful period homes with contemporary architecture and thriving, vibrant cities with relaxed rural villages, it is a unique spot in Britain that offers a diverse range of places to live.
Some of the reasons why West Sussex is so often number one in the list of the most desirable regions include:
- High employment rates, with multiple career opportunities and businesses.
- Above-average incomes, with salaries well above national norms.
- Quality of living is excellent, with friendly communities, an abundance of coastline and green spaces, and remarkable parklands, hiking routes and play areas.
- A vast number of respected schools, including public and private educational establishments, and of course, Chichester University.
- Convenient travel networks and easy access to direct train routes into central London, with A-road links to the motorways.
It’s easy to understand why these factors combine to generate high demand for quality family homes throughout West Sussex.
Spotlighting West Wittering as a West Sussex Hotspot
On the Sussex coastline sits the small village of West Wittering, a place that has become among the most popular property destinations in the whole of the county.
There is an expansive south coast beach with fine sand and safe swimming across the water from Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. Life in the village isn’t just about coastal living though, with a considerable amount of water sports, large family properties, and plenty of famous neighbourhood faces.
Nearby you can find Itchenor, considered one of the most lucrative villages in the UK. While West Wittering is an affluent and highly desirable place to live, it offers extraordinary value for the area, with close access to the prestigious Itchenor Sailing Club.
Here on the west of the Selsey Peninsula, there are a variety of things to do in your downtime, such as:
- Visiting one of the many boat tour and water sports operators on West Wittering Beach.
- Taking a trip to any number of historical churches, ruins and sites in the area, including Fishbourne Roman Palace in Chichester.
- Enjoying the many family attractions and excursions, such as taking children to try their hand at putting at the Jungle Paradise Adventure Golf in nearby Hunston Village.
You can also find the Hayling Seaside Railway only three miles from West Wittering Beach and take the Itchenor Ferry across to Smugglers Lane in Bosham to explore the coastal pathways by foot.
West Wittering property is perhaps most famous for its premium waterside properties. Many of these prominent homes enjoy uninterrupted sea views, direct beachside access, privacy and outstanding living standards.
The nearest train station is Chichester (seven miles or 17 minutes by car) in terms of transport. You can connect with London via direct train in around 90 minutes or link up with the main A3 road, so while a small, comfortable village, there are several commuting options from West Wittering.
Schools and Education in West Wittering
Being in a quiet village, you will find some excellent local primary schools with the nearest secondary schools in a few minute’s drive.
Village primaries include:
- West Wittering Parochial C of E School, a small junior school with only about 100 children, split across four classes and rated Ofsted Good.
- East Wittering Community Primary in the adjacent village, around four minutes by car and also rated Good.
For secondary schools, Chichester High School is 19 minutes drive away, just over seven miles distant. It caters to ages 11 to 18 with a sixth form academy and is classed Good by Ofsted.
You could also consider the reputable St Philip Howard Catholic High School in Bognor Regis, 28 minutes drive away and one of the top ten schools in West Sussex. The school is rated Outstanding and also offers a sixth form provision.
The University of Chichester is 24 minutes away by car, or you can reach Portsmouth University in just over half an hour via the A27.
The West Wittering Property Market
As we’ve discovered, West Wittering offers some luxurious waterfront homes, alongside a wide range of family properties, contemporary apartments and period homes synonymous with traditional English village life.
Three of the most highly sought-after residential streets in West Wittering are often ranked among the most covetable roads in West Sussex, and indeed the country.
- In a premium southerly location on the West Wittering Estate, West Strand has a windsurfing club, beach cafe, private parking, and extraordinary views over the dunes. The average property price on West Strand is around £2.49 million.
- Ellanore Lane has a more rural feel and houses stables and allotments alongside prime properties. The average home on this road sells for approximately £2.25 million, offering unrivalled privacy, sizeable outside living spaces, and often has separate annexes and cottages on the grounds.
- Rookwood Lane is a long, rambling country road with impressive landscaping and grand properties that command attention. The panoramic vistas here reach right across the Chichester Channel, with most properties selling for just over £2 million.
Alongside these unique properties, there are also other options available on the market – although, given the demand in the area, many listings sell exceptionally quickly.
Detached properties in West Wittering can sell for between £670,000 and £880,000. A semi-detached village home tends to sell for around £456,000.
Properties in West Wittering range from classic period homes to listed buildings, beautiful seaside cottages, to bungalows, so there is a significant range of prices and sizes of property available to choose from.
For more information about exploring the opportunity of buying a home in West Wittering, please contact the Tod Anstee team. Our years of experience managing, selling and assisting with purchases of West Sussex properties enable us to give our clients first notice whenever a new residence comes onto the market that we think may be of interest.