Moving to the Town of Midhurst
As West Sussex property experts, Tod Anstee is delighted to introduce prospective house hunters to some of the most popular, and prestigious, addresses in the beautiful towns and villages surrounding our Chichester base.
Here we’ll wander through the market town of Midhurst, the top spot for independent eateries and boutiques.
West Sussex as a Relocation Destination
The county is known as one of the best places to live in Britain, with outstanding heritage, culture, education, transport links and quality of living. West Sussex is where rural life meets modern conveniences, with a blend of thriving cities, quaint villages and sprawling natural countryside as far as the eye can see.
You’ll find contemporary new builds and apartments, alongside thatched cottages and spacious family homes.
Some of the best of West Sussex attractions include:
- South Downs National Park – no less than 1,600 km2 of abundant hiking trails, off-road cycling and wildlife, winding through the local villages.
- The stunning coastline and seaside towns, with unspoilt beaches and panoramic ocean views.
- An outdoor sporting lifestyle, with some of the country’s best sailing clubs (including Itchenor Sailing Club at Chichester Harbour). You’ll also find plenty of high-quality golf clubs and polo at Cowdray Park.
- Arundel Castle, just one of the many medieval ruins and historical sites dotted throughout the county. The Castle dates back to 1067 and has been home to the Duke of Norfolk for over 400 years.
- Goodwood Festival of Speed. The famous weekend runs each summer, with over 100,000 visitors taking in the sights and sounds each day of the event.
When it comes to the working day, you’ll find a high-speed train service in the west, with the Brighton to London rail link, and a cross rail service running directly to St Pancras.
Many professionals choose a property in Midhurst with the ease of commuting into the office. The trip into London is only 55 miles, and you can travel to Haslemere station (10 miles away, around 22 minutes drive) for a direct train link to Waterloo in just 69 minutes.
So, within this beautiful and tranquil county, what makes Midhurst stand out?
Benefits of Living in the Town of Midhurst
In the heart of the South Downs, Midhurst is undoubtedly a jewel in West Sussex’s crown. The small, friendly town is built around a market square, packed with Tudor buildings and historic architecture that lend the village an air of tradition.
Just 12 miles from Chichester, it’s an excellent place to live if you’re seeking the peace of country living, within easy access to amenities and transport links.
The town was first recorded in 1186, and now has a population of around 5,000 people. A thriving business community and diverse countryside create a unique atmosphere, with more independent eateries, pubs, restaurants and boutiques than anywhere else in West Sussex.
You will find countless things to do to enjoy your downtime, such as:
- Visiting the stunning Cowdray Park, buying organic produce from the farm shop or stopping by the Polo Academy in the summer.
- Browsing the excellent local art galleries, including The Midhurst Gallery and Brett Gallery.
- Exploring Woolbeding Gardens, a gorgeous National Trust 20th-century landscape garden, with open pastures providing views over the River.
- Heading to nearby Tillington to sample local wines at Upperton Vineyards.
- Learning more about village life, while enjoying afternoon tea at Midhurst Museum and Tea Rooms.
For active family members, being in the national park means that there are limitless outdoor sports and activities to engage in, whether that’s a gentle hike on a warm day or a high-octane bike trail adventure.
Transport links are good, with the A272 running from East Sussex through to Hampshire, and the A286 from London and Guildford down to the West Sussex coast.
Schooling in Midhurst
Our popular West Sussex villages are a firm favourite with families, offering great housing, communities and safety along with outstanding schools.
In the local village, you’ll find:
- Midhurst C of E Primary and Easebourne Primary nearby, both with Ofsted Good ratings.
- Midhurst Rother College, rated as Outstanding.
- Seaford College, a coeducational boarding and day school for children ages 11-18.
- Conifers Independent School for ages 2 to 13.
West Sussex is home to some of the top-performing state and private schools in the UK, and you’ll also find the following respected establishments within travelling distance:
- The Academy in Selsey, Chichester, rated Good, 20 miles away.
- Ardingly College in Haywards Heath, a boarding school, 35 miles away.
- Hurstpierpoint College, providing day or boarding services, 33 miles drive.
For higher education, the University of Chichester is only 11 miles from Midhurst, a drive of around 20 minutes.
The Property Market in Midhurst
Properties in the town of Midhurst are varied and offer good value for money with the average home sold for £429,200, compared to £456,518 in the city of Chichester.
Midhurst remains a highly sought after destination. Sales prices increase around 8% year on year, so it is a viable and lucrative investment opportunity for buyers who wish to purchase a home that will appreciate reasonably quickly.
You’ll find a broad mixture of homes, including:
- Spacious detached family homes and Tudor properties.
- Bungalows, with suitable sized garages and gardens.
- Period cottages often with original features or thatched roofs.
- Generous modern apartments.
With terraced properties in the village centre and limitless green spaces around Midhurst, there is a vast range of choice for such a small town.
Much of the parking in Midhurst is free, with public car parks and street parking depending on the location of your chosen property. Options run by Chichester District Council, including North Street Car Park and the Grange Road Car Park carry costs, but residents without off-street parking can purchase a season ticket at a reduced price.
For more information about available properties in Midhurst, whether to buy or rent, contact the Tod Anstee team. With years of experience managing sales and tenancies across West Sussex, our team will be delighted to introduce you to all that Midhurst has to offer, and help you find your dream property.